NOTE: Due to the corona virus spreading The Salone del Mobile il postponed to April 13/18 , 2021.
The Salone del Mobile is postponed to 16/21 June 2020. The rumor was in the air, but the official confirmation came yesterday evening after a long meeting that involved the fair’s management and the representatives of the Municipality of Milan.
Obviously, Fuori Salone will also follow it (15/21 June) with significant logistical problems.
Someone criticized the decision; I personally believe it was a right choice not only for the Salone, but for the whole furniture sector, a sign of trust and optimism that we need.
Because, as the mayor Milan Beppe Sala said “Milan can’t stop!” and above all because “The mistrust virus must not spread”.
In recent days other similar announcements had already arrived by other exhibitions, following the Corona virus increasing spread; but the decision of Salone del Mobile in Milan was the most awaited, for its internationality, for its size and for the number of visitors (400,000 in 2019), but also for the role it plays in the world and for the supply chain on the whole the city of Milan which, with the Fuori Salone, is transformed into a huge design event.
The hot comments from entrepreneurs are positive; companies appreciated the decision of the Salone del Mobile which launches a message of optimism at a global level, a strong signal that goes beyond the interests of the furniture sector and also of those of Italy.
A way to get out of the surreal stasis that is affecting, not only the regions most affected by Covid-19.
We have to face this emergency situation with the right spirit, as mayor Sala said, “it is not easy, but everyone hat to do his part!”.
It will be a different, warmer and more “suffered” exhibition, but let’s make sure that they will be an amazing Salone del Mobile and an engaging Milano Design Week, as always.
Text by Renata Sias